The Commissioners for the Environment, the Commissioner for Volunteerism & NGOs, the Department of Forests, the Union of Cyprus Communities and the Cyprus Association for Forests, have established and manage the “Greening Cyprus” Initiative. This aims the active citizenship by organizing groups of people from companies/organizations for voluntary work as well as the financial support in relation to environmental management, rehabilitation of burned areas and conservation of natural reserves.
The aims of the “Greening Cyprus” Initiative are:The aim of this Initiative is not to substitute for the work of the state. Our actions are supportive and complementary and are carried out in cooperation with the relevant state agency.
- Restoration of degraded areas (and after a fire)
- Plantings in areas, mainly in the countryside, where there is a need
- Improvement / enhancement of green areas in mountain and other rural communities.
- Restoring areas that have been historically degraded by overexploitation
- Protect / preserve remarkable elements of nature
- Outdoor leisure, eg. Paths of Nature Study, Parks, etc.
- Protection and promotion of cultural elements of the natural environment.
- Public awareness and environmental education actions.
- Making use of voluntary work
- Climate change adaptation actions.
A short promo video made by CYTA
Re planting of trees by the team Re-tree of the Hellenic Bank
Find more information HERE